Snoring is one of the worst sounds on the planet – just ask someone who has to sleep with a snorer (like me!). It hinders anyone in close proximity from getting a good night’s sleep.
But, not only does snoring adversely affect the quality of sleep for the poor snorer’s spouse, it can also cause serious problems for the snorer. In addition to preventing them from getting a good night’s sleep, snoring can also cause many daytime problems such as poor motor skills, increased irritability, headaches, and depression.
Dealing with snoring has never been easy, but over the past few years, essential oils have become increasingly popular to help with the condition. They are a safe, natural alternative that can produce great results. There are many oils that can help with snoring and we’ll take a look at them here along with how to use them.
What Is The Cause of Snoring
In order to use aromatherapy for snoring, it is important to determine what is causing the snoring in the first place. Snoring is generally caused by either the tongue or soft palate at the back of the mouth. Below are some of the most common causes of snoring.
• Allergies can often cause snoring as people struggle to breath during seasonal changes.
• Air humidity can also be to blame for snoring. Dry air can cause people to snore in which case a humidifier will solve the problem. However, humid air can also be the culprit because mold can be present.
• Infections such as sinus and upper respiratory tract infections, making it difficult to breath, can cause snoring.
• Heartburn, indigestion, and other stomach problems can often irritate the soft palate at the back of the mouth. This irritation might trigger snoring as well.
• Obesity and recent weight gain can also be a factor behind snoring and sleep apnea.
• Lastly, snoring can be caused by the swelling of the throat due to a thyroid problem, a goiter, or an abnormal growth such as a tumor.
If you can’t determine the cause of the snoring, you should consult a physician or sleep clinic to make sure that the snoring isn’t caused by a serious condition. Once the cause of snoring has been determined, it is possible to choose the best essential oil for snoring.
Best Essential Oils For Snoring
Below is a selection of essential oils based on the established cause of snoring.
The best essential oils for snoring caused by allergies are antihistaminic oils. These will help to counteract the allergic reaction and provide symptomatic relief when inhaled. Choose from Lavender, German Chamomile, Roman Chamomile and Melissa.
- Apply a few drops to a tissue, handkerchief, pillow or nasal inhaler and breathe deeply. If the allergic reaction is occuring during the day, this is a great, portable way to get relief.
- Use a diffuser placed next to the bed to provide relief during the night.
For Blocked Airways
If the snoring is caused by blocked or restricted airways due to congestion or other inflammatory conditions, then use anti-inflammatory or decongestant oils. Effective decongestant oils include Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Thyme, Cedarwood, and Pine.
- Dilute 1-2 drops of essential oil in fractionated coconut oil (or other carrier oil) and massage a couple of drops of the blend onto the chest, neck, back and feet. In particular, apply before going to bed.
- Diffuse into the air. This can be done in any room, not just the bedroom and is a good option to help clear airways during the day. Also run the diffuser during the night for continued relief.
- Inhalation can be done in several ways to help with congestion.
- Place 1-2 drops of essential oil into a bowl and pour over hot water. Place a towel over your head and inhale the vapor. This can be done during the day and at night before going to bed.
- Open the bottle of essential oil and inhale deeply directly from the bottle. This is a portable solution that can be done during the day.
- Apply the essential oil to a tissue, handkerchief, cotton wick or nasal inhaler and breathe in. Again, this is a portable solution that is great for day time.
For snoring that is caused by inflammation due to infection, the best essential oils are anti-viral or anti-bacterial oils. While most essential oils are active against certain infecting organisms, there are some that are useful against a wide range of bacteria and viruses. These include Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Thyme, Tea Tree, Lavender and Rosemary.
All of the methods outlined above are suitable for snoring caused by infection.
The 2 Best Choices
Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme is one of the best essential oils for snoring treatment because it can help with snoring that is caused by a wide variety of ailments. Snoring can often be a vicious cycle because it worsens as the sufferer becomes more and more fatigued.
Thyme, whether it’s diluted or neat, works by helping the snorer to sleep well. It not only has anti-fungal, anti-microbial, and anti-bacterial properties, but it also has a soothing effect on the mind.
The best way to use Thyme essential oil to help with snoring is to mix 4 drops of thyme with 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil and massage the mixture onto the feet before bed. It can also be added to a diffuser and placed next to the bed.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
If Thyme oil is not helping, then Eucalyptus oil is the next best essential oil to try. Eucalyptus originated in Australia and is known for its sweet scent and lovely smelling leaves. Eucalyptus possesses excellent therapeutic properties and calms the mind so it is often used to treat a wide variety of ailments.
A natural decongestant, Eucalyptus can help with snoring by clearing nasal passageways. It works by liquefying the built-up mucus causing blockage and breathing problems.
To use Eucalyptus essential oil, the best method is steam inhalation. In order to do this, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Lastly, wrap a towel around your head and inhale the steam from the water-oil mixture through your mouth and nose. Repeat as needed.
Snoring can be a vicious cycle that is difficult to break. Snorers often don’t feel well rested because they have difficulty breathing while they sleep. This leads to increased fatigue and irritability, which can lead to even worse snoring.
There are many ways to combat snoring from surgery to weight loss to breathing strips. However, essential oils are one of the most effective and least intrusive options to combat snoring.
Before choosing an essential oil to help with snoring, first determine the cause of the snoring. Once this is established, it’s easy to choose from the variety of effective essential oils to use. There are also a range of ways to use them to help bring relief and hopefully a good nights sleep!