Snoring is one of the worst sounds on the planet – just ask someone who has to sleep with a snorer (like me!). It hinders anyone in close proximity from getting a good night’s sleep.
But, not only does snoring adversely affect the quality of sleep for the poor snorer’s spouse, it can also cause serious problems for the snorer. In addition to preventing them from getting a good night’s sleep, snoring can also cause many daytime problems such as poor motor skills, increased irritability, headaches, and depression.
Dealing with snoring has never been easy, but over the past few years, essential oils have become increasingly popular to help with the condition. They are a safe, natural alternative that can produce great results. There are many oils that can help with snoring and we’ll take a look at them here along with how to use them.
What Is The Cause of Snoring
In order to use aromatherapy for snoring, it is important to determine what is causing the snoring in the first place. Snoring is generally caused by either the tongue or soft palate at the back of the mouth. Below are some of the most common causes of snoring.
• Allergies can often cause snoring as people struggle to breath during seasonal changes.
• Air humidity can also be to blame for snoring. Dry air can cause people to snore in which case a humidifier will solve the problem. However, humid air can also be the culprit because mold can be present.
• Infections such as sinus and upper respiratory tract infections, making it difficult to breath, can cause snoring.
• Heartburn, indigestion, and other stomach problems can often irritate the soft palate at the back of the mouth. This irritation might trigger snoring as well.
• Obesity and recent weight gain can also be a factor behind snoring and sleep apnea.
• Lastly, snoring can be caused by the swelling of the throat due to a thyroid problem, a goiter, or an abnormal growth such as a tumor.
If you can’t determine the cause of the snoring, you should consult a physician or sleep clinic to make sure that the snoring isn’t caused by a serious condition. Once the cause of snoring has been determined, it is possible to choose the best essential oil for snoring.
Best Essential Oils For Snoring
Below is a selection of essential oils based on the established cause of snoring. Here are the top brands of essential oils to try.
The best essential oils for snoring caused by allergies are antihistaminic oils. These will help to counteract the allergic reaction and provide symptomatic relief when inhaled. Choose from Lavender, German Chamomile, Roman Chamomile and Melissa.
- Apply a few drops to a tissue, handkerchief, pillow or nasal inhaler and breathe deeply. If the allergic reaction is occuring during the day, this is a great, portable way to get relief.
- Use a diffuser placed next to the bed to provide relief during the night.
For Blocked Airways
If the snoring is caused by blocked or restricted airways due to congestion or other inflammatory conditions, then use anti-inflammatory or decongestant oils. Effective decongestant oils include Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Thyme, Cedarwood, and Pine.